Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Intersection of Jefferson and North Union streets

Natchez Trails

 
 
Intersection of Jefferson and North Union streets Marker image. Click for full size.
May 27, 2017
1. Intersection of Jefferson and North Union streets Marker
Inscription.  
Ethel Clagett and Mabel Porter were among the first women in America to own a car dealership that was not inherited from a male spouse or relative. They opened their dealership in 1914 on Main Street and moved to a larger new facility on the southwest corner of Jefferson and North Union streets in 1929 (behind you - no longer standing). It operated into the 1960s.

The members of Jefferson Street Methodist Church completed their new church building in 1872, and finished the sanctuary in 1877. Methodist ministers first came to Natchez as circuit riders in the southwestern frontier during the territorial period (1798-1817). Lorenzo Dow, an early evangelist criticized that Natchez had not "three Christians in town, either white or black." In 1829, the Natchez Methodist Church formed the first Sunday School south of Philadelphia, and the first Protestant mission society in the South in 1835.

This 1866 photograph of the McClure House, built in the 1850s, shows the chinaberry trees that lined the city streets. The photo also shows the wooden picket fences that homeowners built to keep out the livestock

Intersection of Jefferson and North Union streets Marker image. Click for full size.
May 27, 2017
2. Intersection of Jefferson and North Union streets Marker
that roamed freely through town. Natchez, like many towns, used pigs to eat the garbage often thrown into the streets.

Eidt's Two Hundred Service Station opened in 1935 as a Texaco gas station and dealer of Goodrich tires. Its unusual name came from its telephone number, which was "200." The Eidt family ran the station until it closed about 1980.
 
Erected by City of Natchez.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Natchez Trails marker series.
 
Location. 31° 33.636′ N, 91° 24.004′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is on Jefferson Street near North Union, on the right when traveling west. Located on the Southwest corner of intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Natchez MS 39120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jefferson Street Methodist Church (a few steps from this marker); King's Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Intersection of Jefferson and North Rankin streets (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Cokesbury Chapel (about 400 feet away); Intersection of High and North Rankin streets (about 500 feet away); Old Natchez Hotel (about 700 feet away); Intersection of Jefferson and North Pearl streets

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(about 700 feet away); Zion Chapel A.M.E. Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionIndustry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles
 

More. Search the internet for Intersection of Jefferson and North Union streets.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 132 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2017.
Paid Advertisement