Stevenson in Jackson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Averyville School’s most notable student was William Hooper Councill (1848-1909), a former slave brought to Alabama in 1857. He attended Averyville School as a freedman, becoming a teacher himself by the end of his third year here. He moved to Huntsville in 1869 and opened the Lincoln Normal School to train
Erected 2014 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities 🎓, and the Quakerism ⛪ series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1865.
Location. 34° 52.404′ N, 85° 49.619′ W. Marker is in Stevenson, Alabama, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Mount Carmel Road (County Route 85) and Ohio Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Old Mount Carmel Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 52 Old Mt Carmel Rd, Stevenson AL 35772, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Union Army Headquarters (approx. half a mile away); Flight 800 Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles Stevenson Depot and Hotel (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fort Harker (approx. 1.1 miles away); Crow Town (approx. 1.6 miles away); Wet, Wild, and Wonderful (approx. 1.7 miles away); Rocky Springs Church of Christ (approx. 7.1 miles away); Bridgeport (approx. 7.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stevenson.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 30, 2017, by Karen Emerson-McPeak of Triune, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 406 times since then and 95 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 30, 2017, by Karen Emerson-McPeak of Triune, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.