Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Yorktown in York County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Brotherhood Preserved

Colonial National Historic Park

 
 
Brotherhood Preserved Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2008
1. Brotherhood Preserved Marker
Inscription.  A few weeks before his resignation as commander-in-chief of the Continental Army, December 4, 1783, Washington said farewell to his officers: “With a heart full of love and gratitude, I now take my leave of you.”   But the bond of brotherhood that flourished on the battlefield would not end here. Before the Treaty of Paris was signed the Society of the Cincinnati was formed, May 1783. Washington was elected its first president, serving until his death in 1799.

The Society is named for Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus, a Roman farmer of the 5th Century B.C., who, like Washington, was called from his fields to lead his country’s army. Members today (descendants of American Revolutionary War officiers) hold fast to the Society’s original purposes: to preserve the rights and liberties its founders fought for, to promote national honor and dignity, and to reinforce “cordial affection” by caring for its members and their families.
 
Erected by Colonial National Historic Park, National Park Service.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists:
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsPatriots & PatriotismWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 4, 1783.
 
Location. 37° 12.517′ N, 76° 30.268′ W. Marker is in Yorktown, Virginia, in York County. Marker is on Historical Tour Drive, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located on the Yorktown Battlefield in Colonial National Historical Park, at stop F on the Battlefield Tour. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Yorktown VA 23690, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Solemn Step (within shouting distance of this marker); News of Victory (within shouting distance of this marker); Ground Your Firelocks! (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Surrender Field (about 300 feet away); Trophies of War (about 300 feet away); Surrender Road (about 400 feet away); American Field Hospital (approx. ¼ mile away); Marquis de Lafayette and His Division (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yorktown.
 
More about this marker.
Marker near Yorktown's Surrender Field image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2008
2. Marker near Yorktown's Surrender Field
The Surrender Field pavilion and Surrender Road can be seen in the background of this photo.
The background of the marker features a picture of General Washington saying goodbye to his troops. It has the caption of “Washington bids farewell in New York’s Fraunces Tavern, 1783.” The upper right of the marker contains the Society’s insignia, reproduced by permission of The Society of the Cincinnati. The caption reads “Composed of Americans and French chapters, the Society adopted the bald eagle as its insignia. Today, as an educational institution, the organization holds notable library and museum collections, which further the understanding of the American Revolution and the Society.”
 
Also see . . .
1. History of the Society of the Cincinnati. The Society of the Cincinnati website. (Submitted on August 31, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 

2. Yorktown Battlefield. National Park Service. (Submitted on August 31, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 
 
Society of the Cincinnati Insignia image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2008
3. Society of the Cincinnati Insignia
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 967 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 31, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=10910

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024