Diamond Springs in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected by California State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the citizens of Diamond Springs and the Mother Lode Lions Club of Diamond Springs and El Dorado. (Marker Number 487.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, and the Pony Express National Historic Trail 🐎 series lists.
Location. 38° 41.637′ N, 120° 49.038′ W. Marker is in Diamond Springs, California, in El Dorado Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 Main Street, Diamond Springs CA 95619, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Diamond Springs I.O.O.F. No. 09 Lodge Hall (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Odd Fellows Hall (about 600 feet away); Hiram No.43 Masonic Building (approx. 1.9 miles away); El Dorado (approx. 1.9 miles away); El Dorado (Mud Springs) (approx. 1.9 miles away); Cemetery of Lost Souls (approx. 2.3 miles away); El Dorado County Veterans Monument (approx. 2.4 miles away); Site of Original Raley’s Grocery Store (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Diamond Springs.
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a monument directly in front of the fire station. Diamond Springs is a California Registered Historical Landmark (No. 487).
Regarding Diamond Springs. Diamond Springs was unusual in that a majority of its original settlers in 1850 came from one place - Missouri.
As with many other Gold Rush era settlements, fire destroyed most of the buildings, in this particular instance twice - in 1856 and 1859.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,472 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 1, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 2. submitted on September 1, 2008. 3. submitted on September 1, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.