Leadore in Lemhi County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Before the Roads
The Town at the Crossroads
Aptly named for its location at the intersection of the road from Montana across Bannock Pass and the Birch Creek road to Salmon, Idaho, the town of Junction was once the center of activity for freight wagon and stagecoach traffic as well as for ranchers and miners. In 1910 commerce shifted to Leadore when the Gilmore & Pittsburg railroad bypassed Junction by two miles, leaving it to memories of earlier times.
1855 - The Mormon Road
In 1855 Brigham Young sent 27 missionaries north from Salt Lake City. After two difficult years of failed relations the the Indians they were given permission to abandon their mission leaving only the name of the road as their legacy.
1866 - Gold Discovered
The roads were full of miners once gold was discovered. A party of five men who worked their way from Montana across the Bitterroots,
1877 -Nez Perce Flight
The Nez Perce crossed west over the divid near Junction after the Battle of Big Hole on August 9-10, 1877. Continuing south over Gilmore Summit to Birch Creek, they came upon freight wagons bound for Salmon and Leesburg. The resulting encounter left 5 in the wagon party dead and the rest scattered as the Nez Perce continued east on their flight.
1879 - Utah and Northern Railroad
Prior to the Utah and Northern railroad building a narrow gauge into the Red Rock Valley of southwest Montana, in 1879, Junction was the only town connecting the isolated little community of Salmon City with growing settlements on the Snake River Plain in eastern Idaho.
1886 - 1920 - Beacons of Rest
Stage Stops proved a lifeline to weary, dust caked or ice-incrusted travelers. While exhausted horses were exchanged, a traveler might find a little comfort from a drink of water or a few minutes next to a pot bellied stove.
Between 1886 and 1920 the stage station connected Junction or Leadore with Montana to the east and Idaho Falls to the south.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Lewis & Clark Expedition series list.
Location. 44° 40.842′ N, 113° 21.498′ W. Marker is in Leadore, Idaho, in Lemhi County. Marker is at the intersection of South Railroad Street (State Highway 28) and Old Idaho 28 (State Highway 29), on the right when traveling east on South Railroad Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 South Railroad Street, Leadore ID 83464, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bannock Pass (approx. 10.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2017. It was originally submitted on October 30, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 30, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.