In 1882, the Lehigh Valley Railroad replaced its original South Easton repair shops with a large, multi-building facility. The site included a forty stall roundhouse that was 300 feet in diameter and a locomotive building shop, which burned down in 1986. The National Canal Museum's historian emeritus, Lance Metz, collected this date plate from the 18,000 square foot car shop before it was demolished in the late 1980s.
Collection of the National Canal Museum, a program of the Delaware & Lehigh National Heritage Corridor.
Erected by National Canal Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. 40° 39.724′ N, 75° 14.354′ W. Marker is in Easton, Pennsylvania, in Northampton County. Marker and plate are at the National Canal Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2750 Hugh Moore Park Road, Easton PA 18042, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Liberty Trust Company Bell (a few steps from this marker); Lehigh Valley Railroads (a few steps
Also see . . .
1. Lehigh Valley Railroad, Easton Car Shops, Canal Street, Easton, Northampton County, PA. (Submitted on November 3, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. National Canal Museum. (Submitted on November 3, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 136 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 3, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.