1922 Train Station
2 Washington St.
In 1922, the Susquehanna and New York (S & NY) constructed this building, smaller than the freight depot, (20' by 84'). This one-story building of steel lath covered with stucco has an asbestos roof. The station had three rooms: ticket office, freight room and a passenger waiting room. The building was "city steam heated and electric lighted." The Postal Telegraph Cable Co. also had an office in the new station.
The main passenger depot for the rail lines was located in the northern part of Towanda Borough, just south of the present day Sylvania plant near the intersection of Hawes Street and Packer Avenue.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1922.
Location. 41° 45.869′ N, 76° 26.548′ W. Marker is in Towanda, Pennsylvania, in Bradford County. Marker is on Washington Street east of Main Street (U.S. 6), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Washington Street, Towanda PA 18848, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Train Station (within shouting distance of this marker);
Also see . . . Towanda Borough Historic District. (Submitted on November 5, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 5, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 5, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 227 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 5, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.