Naming of Towanda
When the first European settlers came to Towanda it was covered with a dense growth of timber and shrubs from which came its first name "Canewood." The name Towanda is an Indian term. Awandae in the Nanticoke tongue signified "a burial place." Towandaemunk in the Delaware language means "where there is a burying," or "where we bury the dead." Legend attributes the name of Towanda Creek, named after young Chief "Towanda." Other sources indicate the name to be derived from Gowanda, an Indian word meaning "a town among the hills by the waterside" or from Dawantan, an Iroquois word signifying "fretful or tedious." Other early placenames were Meansville, Overton, Monmouth, Claverack, Vauxhall, and Williamston.
Location. 41° 45.992′ N, 76° 26.506′ W. Marker is in Towanda, Pennsylvania, in Bradford County. Marker is at the intersection of River Street/Merrill Parkway and Pine Street, on the right when traveling north on River Street/Merrill Parkway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Towanda PA 18848, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Frost's Furniture Factory (within shouting distance of this marker);
Also see . . .
1. Towanda Township History. (Submitted on November 6, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. 1843 History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania. (Submitted on November 6, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Naming of Towanda.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 6, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.