Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Towanda in Bradford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Edward Overton House

19 Main St.

 
 
Edward Overton House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2017
1. Edward Overton House Marker
Inscription.  

In 1820 a lawyer named Edward Overton came to Towanda from Athens. His father, Thomas Overton, was one of the principal owners of the land in the new town of Towanda. Edward also became interested in land and owned the coal deposits, which Barclay Railroad developed. He was the first president of Barclay Railroad. About 1857 he built his home on Main Street. The Italianate two-story home has wide architrave; bracketed eaves; and double windows. Edward was a key figure in the commercial growth of Towanda in the mid-1800's. His daughter married James MacFarlane, who built the house next door at 21 Main Street. Edward's home on 19 Main St. was later owned by I. O. Blight, General Manager of State Line and Sullivan Railroad.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1820.
 
Location. 41° 46.222′ N, 76° 26.583′ W. Marker is in Towanda, Pennsylvania, in Bradford County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 6) north of Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling north

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19 Main Street, Towanda PA 18848, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Macfarlane House (within shouting distance of this marker); Towanda's Oldest House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Towanda First Methodist Church (about 400 feet away); Towanda Public Library (about 400 feet away); Canal House (about 500 feet away); The Daily Review (about 600 feet away); Stephen Foster (about 600 feet away); Sts. Peter and Paul Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Towanda.
 
Also see . . .
1. Towanda Borough Historic District. (Submitted on November 7, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Overton Township, Bradford County PA. (Submitted on November 7, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Edward Overton House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2017
2. Edward Overton House and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 7, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 279 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 7, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=109744

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024