Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hailey in Blaine County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

W.H. Watt Building

120 N. Main St.

 
 
W.H. Watt Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 26, 2017
1. W.H. Watt Building Marker
Inscription.  The Watt Building is connected in local memory with W.H. Watt, who had the building erected as a bank. An 1889 fire that demolished the business district of Hailey left few buildings still standing. The rear portion of the building, which may date from as early as 1882, is the only known extant brick survivor of the fire.
The front portion of the building probably dates from just after the fire, when a major rebuilding effort began. Features representative of the period include the gable front, the use of pressed sheet iron, the symmetrical facade, double-hung sash windows that are smaller than the large display windows just becoming popular, vertical massing, and the use of brick.
Dr. Robert Wright, acquired the building in 1911 or 1912 and practiced there until March 8, 1967. Born south of Bellevue in 1881, he received his degree from Medical School American College in St. Louis. He worked in the Minnie Moore Mine west of Bellevue to earn money for school and rode the sheep trains to St. Louis. He organized the rescue effort at the disastrous avalanche at North Star mine in 1917.
Sawtooth Title Insurance Company had its
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
offices here in 1960. The two story porch with turned posts was added to the building around 1968. This building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in March of 1983. This building has been used as a café, a bookstore, offices for the County Recreation District and a jewelry store.
 
Erected by Hailey Historic Preservation Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsScience & Medicine.
 
Location. 43° 31.23′ N, 114° 18.953′ W. Marker is in Hailey, Idaho, in Blaine County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and Carbonate Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 North Main Street, Hailey ID 83333, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bullion Block Site/Werthheimer Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); J.J. Tracy Building (about 600 feet away); J.C. Fox Building (about 600 feet away); Rialto Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wood River Mines (approx. 3.6 miles away); Ketchum (approx. 11.4 miles away); The Lewis Ore Wagons (approx. 11½ miles away); The Congregational Church (approx. 11½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hailey.
W.H. Watt Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 26, 2017
2. W.H. Watt Building Marker
The marker is to the right of the entrance.
 
W.H. Watt Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 26, 2017
3. W.H. Watt Building Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 15, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=110108

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024