Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Edwards in Hinds County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Architecture and Renovations

 
 
Architecture and Renovations Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 24, 2017
1. Architecture and Renovations Marker
Inscription.  What you see here is a reconstruction of the 1852 house built by the Cokers. Efforts to fully restore the original house were not successful. In order to save the structure, the house was dismantled and the salvaged materials were used in the rebuilding.

The Coker House was built in the vernacular Greek Revival architectural style used in many planters' houses and town houses in the Deep South. The floor plan features a wide center hall with two matching rooms on either side. The facade has an attached portico supported by four squared columns with Greek Revival detailing.

The kitchen and dining room was located in a single outbuilding immediately behind the house to safeguard the house from fire. It was removed in the 1960s.

Preservation
In 1933 Maude Coker Thomas sold the house and property to Alfred Gervin who lived here with his family for the next thirty years. Fred Adams of Cal-Maine Foods purchased the property in 1963 and later donated the house to the Jackson Civil War Round Table, a nonprofit history and preservation organization.

Unable to raise sufficient
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
funds for a complete restoration, the Round Table deeded the house to the State of Mississippi in 2000.

"[Nestled] in a wilderness of flowers and shrubbery and large forest trees stood the comfortable Coker house, with its large airy hall running from end to end," recalled an Ohio infantryman. "It stood on brick pillars, some three feet or more above the ground, allowing a free circulation of air, a very necessary thing in that climate."
 
Erected by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureNotable BuildingsWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
 
Location. 32° 18.245′ N, 90° 33.714′ W. Marker is near Edwards, Mississippi, in Hinds County. Marker is on Adams Lane near State Route 467, on the left when traveling south. Located just north of Cal-Maine Foods, Inc. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Adams Lane, Edwards MS 39066, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Coker House and the Battle of Champion Hill (here, next to this marker); The Vicksburg Campaign (here, next to this marker); A Refugee Family (within shouting distance of this marker); Chicago Mercantile Battery - Artillery in the Yard
View of marker looking towards the Coker House. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 24, 2017
2. View of marker looking towards the Coker House.
(within shouting distance of this marker); The Death of General Tilghman (within shouting distance of this marker); A Narrow Escape (within shouting distance of this marker); Lloyd Tilghman (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Battle of Champion Hill (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edwards.
 
Regarding Architecture and Renovations. Located on Cotton Hill, three miles southeast of Edwards, Mississippi, the Coker House is known for its role in the Civil War. H. B. Coker, a noted citizen and planter, built the one story Greek Revival house about 1852. It is typical of the style of house occupied by wealthy people of this area in antebellum days.
 
The Coker House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 24, 2017
3. The Coker House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 16, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=110131

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024