Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Fredericksburg in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fredericksburg Campaign

 
 
Fredericksburg Campaign Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., February 18, 2008
1. Fredericksburg Campaign Marker
Inscription.  December 13, 1862. This highway, the Old Richmond Stage Road, here passes wartime Smithfield, now the Fredericksburg Country Club. Out of the ravine alongside the present golf links (your left front), Meade’s Division emerged to form lines of battle and advance against the Confederate heights, a mile in front of this marker. The banners of Doubleday’s Division flew on his left and Gibbon’s on his right. Though Meade temporarily pierced the enemy defenses, all three divisions were forced back to this road by Confederate counterattack.
 
Erected by United States Department of the Interior, National Park Service.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
 
Location. Marker has been reported permanently removed. It was located near 38° 15.662′ N, 77° 26.064′ W. Marker was near Fredericksburg, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker was on Tidewater Trail (Virginia Route 2), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 11031 Tidewater Trail, Fredericksburg VA 22408, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Fredericksburg Campaign Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., February 18, 2008
2. Fredericksburg Campaign Marker
are within walking distance of this location. The Slaughter Pen Farm (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Slaughter Pen Farm (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battle of Fredericksburg (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Fredericksburg (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Slaughter Pen Farm (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Slaughter Pen Farm (approx. half a mile away); Colonial Fort (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Slaughter Pen Farm (approx. 0.6 miles away).
 
The ravine alongside the present golf links image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., February 18, 2008
3. The ravine alongside the present golf links
Slaughter Pen Farm image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 9, 2007
4. Slaughter Pen Farm
Meade's men advanced across this ground, now known as the Slaughter Pen, towards Jackson's line on December 13, 1862.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2017. It was originally submitted on February 18, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,130 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on November 23, 2017, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 18, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   4. submitted on February 19, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 2, 2020