Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Morton in Scott County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Ueltschey Tannery

 
 
The Ueltschey Tannery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, December 3, 2017
1. The Ueltschey Tannery Marker
Inscription.  Located in this vicinity, the Ueltschey tannery was established in 1857 by Albert Ueltschey (1824-1884), a native of Switzerland who had moved from Texas to Mississippi after the Mexican War, settling near Nathan Springs. Following the Civil War, cotton ginning and milling were added to the tannery's operation.
 
Erected 2009 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
 
Location. 32° 19.787′ N, 89° 40.009′ W. Marker is in Morton, Mississippi, in Scott County. Marker is at the intersection of Mississippi Route 13 and Lindsey Road, on the right when traveling south on State Route 13. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1325 MS-13, Morton MS 39117, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Choctaw Line (approx. 3.4 miles away); Rubin Lacy (approx.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
7.7 miles away); Branch School (approx. 8.2 miles away); Smith County Jamboree (approx. 9.7 miles away); Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup (approx. 11.3 miles away); Centenary College (approx. 11˝ miles away); Shiloh Methodist Campground (approx. 11.6 miles away); Hillsboro Methodist Church (approx. 12˝ miles away).
 
More about this marker. Previously located here was an older 1976 marker, with different text, containing misspellings of Albert Ueltschey. The older marker read:
Established 1857 by Albert Ueltshey, a Swiss immigrant. After the Civil War, Ueltshey added farming, cotton ginning, and milling to his leather business. He was known for his fair and generous dealings.
 
View from marker looking north on Mississippi Highway 13. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, December 3, 2017
2. View from marker looking north on Mississippi Highway 13.
The Ueltschey Tannery area. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, December 3, 2017
3. The Ueltschey Tannery area.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 383 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 4, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=111021

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024