Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Historic District in St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Avero House

First Spanish Colonial Period, Built 1735-1743 (Restored 1979)

 
 
Avero House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, June 21, 2017
1. Avero House Marker
Inscription.  The Avero family lived on this property from 1712 until 1804 even before the existing building was constructed, with the exception of the British occupation period during 1763-1783. The restoration was undertaken to approximate the character of the building as it existed in 1753-1763 using documentary and archaeological evidence. The restoration process included reconstruction of a missing building section that commemorates its use as a place of worship then called San Pedro Church, led by Father Pedro Camps who sponsored a free school in 1787 with classes taught in Spanish until 1790. The coquina stone blocks, side entry, arcaded loggia, and flat roof are characteristics of prominent First Spanish Period dwellings in St. Augustine.
 
Erected 2016 by City of St. Augustine.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureColonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1735.
 
Location. 29° 53.776′ N, 81° 18.792′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. It is in the Historic District. Marker is on
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
St George Street, 0.1 miles north of Cuna Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 41 St George Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Casa Avero (here, next to this marker); Arrivas House (here, next to this marker); Rodriguez-Avero-Sanchez House (a few steps from this marker); Rodriquez-Avero-Sanchez House (a few steps from this marker); De Hita-González Houses (a few steps from this marker); The Minorcan Heritage (a few steps from this marker); Salcedo House (within shouting distance of this marker); Spanish Colonial Hygiene (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Also see . . .  Avero House. (Submitted on December 5, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
 
Avero House looking south on St. George St image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, June 21, 2017
2. Avero House looking south on St. George St
The marker is to the left of the entrance to the house, not visible in this view.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 385 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 5, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=111092

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024