Comfort in Kendall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Comfort was founded by a group of German immigrants in 1854. By 1856, there were enough children in the area to warrant a public school and a one-room log cabin was built on Michael Lindner’s lot no. 258 with some classes held in homes. The school had dirt floors and children sat on backless benches along the walls. Following the Civil War, the Comfort Schulverein (Comfort School Association) was established to oversee education in the area. In 1886, a second building was erected on the west end of Comfort Park. Mr. Carl Herbst taught continuously from 1866 to 1887, and Mr. Fritz Fischer served from 1870 to 1881 and again from 1887 to 1895. Both men received training from universities in Germany and brought success to the Comfort School. Enrollment increased and soon the need for a larger school was evident.
Between 1892 and 1893, the first permanent schoolhouse was built at the corner of 3rd and High Streets. The three-room limestone building was constructed by Christian Lindemann and included a bell tower. The adjoining lots served as a playground for the school children. Around this time, the influx of non-German settlers
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17739.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
Location. 29° 58.241′ N, 98° 54.884′ W. Marker is in Comfort, Texas, in Kendall County. Marker is on High Street 0.1 miles west of 3rd Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located near front entrance to the subject school building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 216 High Street, Comfort TX 78013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle and Massacre at Nueces River (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Treue Der Union Monument (about 400 feet away); Comfort Community Church (about Funeral of German Patriots at Comfort, Texas (about 500 feet away); Dedication of Monument to German Patriots (about 500 feet away); Ernst Hermann Altgelt (approx. ¼ mile away); Freidenker (approx. ¼ mile away); Otto Brinkmann House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Comfort.
Also see . . . Comfort, Texas.
Freemasons, freethinkers, and political activists, middle-class German families, and liberals from Bettina and Sisterdale settled the area. Townsmen organized the community along cooperative lines and steadfastly opposed formal local government. Comfort opened a school shortly after its founding, but not until 1892 was a church built. The town was a center of Union sentiment during the Civil War and lost many young men at the battle of the Nueces in 1862. (Submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 177 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.