Leakey in Real County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Located on the Edwards Plateau, Real County is in an area of rolling terrain broken by the canyons of the Frio River. Because of raids by Comanche, Apache, and Lipan Apache Indians, white settlement was hindered until after 1881. Mission San Lorenzo de La Santa Cruz was founded by the Spanish in 1762 near present Camp Wood.
The county was created on April 3, 1913, from Edwards, Kerr, and Bandera counties: organized on July 26, 1913, it was named in honor of Julius Real (1860-1944), a prominent businessman and state senator, 1909-1914 and 1924-1928. Leakey, the county seat, was established by John Leakey (1824-1900), a pioneer settler in the region.
Erected 1968 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 4211.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Hispanic Americans • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is April 3, 1913.
Location. 29° 43.562′ N, 99° 45.752′ W. Marker is in Leakey, Texas, in Real County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street and Market Street (Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 146 US-83, Leakey TX 78873, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Real County (within shouting distance of this marker); Real County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); John Leakey (within shouting distance of this marker); Leakey Church of Christ (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leakey Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leakey Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Leakey School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of McLaurin Massacre (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leakey.
More about this marker. Marker is a brass tablet mounted on top of a large pink granite pedestal
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . Real County.
Anglo settlers arrived in the Frio Canyon in 1856 when John and Nancy Leakey, along with several others, settled near the town that now bears their name. In 1881, in the last Indian raid in Southwest Texas, Lipans struck the McLauren home at Buzzard's Roost in the Frio Canyon. The area was named for Julius Real, the only Republican in the Texas Senate when the county was formed in 1913. (Submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 115 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.