Leakey in Real County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The town, situated on the Bandera-Edwards County line, was laid out in 1833 and named in honor of the resourceful pioneer who donated land for this plaza, a church, school, and cemetery. Leakey served as county seat of Edwards County until 1891, and became county seat of Real County when it was organized in 1913.
A successful businessman, Indian
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2792.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 29° 43.583′ N, 99° 45.751′ W. Marker is in Leakey, Texas, in Real County. Marker is on Market Street (U.S. 83) south of Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker and monument are located on the west side of the Real County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 146 US-83, Leakey TX 78873, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Real County (within shouting distance of this marker); Real County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Real County (within shouting distance of this marker); Leakey Church of Christ (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leakey Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leakey Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leakey School (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of McLaurin Massacre (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leakey.
Related markers.list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . John Leakey. Anglo-Americans arrived in the area in 1856, when John Leakey, for whom the town was later named, his wife Nancy, and five others settled near springs that were later known as Leakey Springs. Shingles and lumber were produced from the abundant cypress trees lining area streams, which were processed at water-powered sawmills along the Frio. (Submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 3. submitted on November 30, 2019, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.