Del Rio in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Del Rio
Six individuals met on September 23, 1882 to create the Methodist Episcopal Church South, the forerunner of First United Methodist Church of Del Rio. These first congregants were Randolph Pafford, J. Lyman Bailey, William M. Bailey, Sarah Bailey, Rosalie Roberts and William G. Hancock. During the earliest days of the congregation’s existence, church meetings were held in the homes of members. Pafford donated a town lot and $500 to the church in 1883, and a wood-frame structure was soon erected on cemetery street (now Pecan Street), on what was then the northern edge of town. Growth of the congregation was modest into the 20th century, and a stone chapel was constructed in 1903-1904.
The congregation grew to slightly greater than three hundred members by 1917, as members opened their homes to soldier trainees at Camp Del Rio, later known as Camp Michie. Continued growth of the congregation created the necessity for another, larger facility, and the first service in the new building was held on May 31, 1931. The larger sanctuary was well justified, as the congregation doubled in size to over seven hundred members between the
The church has promoted missions and charitable work after numerous hurricanes, as well as abroad in Mexico and Liberia, and also provides numerous outreach programs throughout the local community.
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15363.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features. A significant historical date for this entry is September 23, 1882.
Location. 29° 21.646′ N, 100° 53.806′ W. Marker is in Del Rio, Texas, in Val Verde County. Marker is at the intersection of Spring Street and Mill Street, on the right when traveling west on Spring Street. Marker is located in front of subject church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Spring Street, Del Rio TX 78840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elks Lodge Hall (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camp Hudson, C.S.A. (about 500 feet away); Glenn-Dowe House (about 600 feet away); Val Verde County Courthouse SquareSacred Heart Catholic Church (about 700 feet away); John Taini (about 700 feet away); Texas Sheep and Goat Raisers' Association (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Del Rio National Bank Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Del Rio.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 13, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 281 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 13, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.