Uvalde in Uvalde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Capt. William Benson
Maryland native William Benson (b. 1837) came to Texas after graduating from college as a civil engineer. After settling in Brazoria County he became a teacher. During the Civil War he commanded a cavalry regiment as one of the youngest captains in the Confederacy. Benson later came to Uvalde, where he again taught school. About 1874 he and his wife, Felicia (Yeiser), moved to this site and lived in a log house until this residence was completed about 1881. A leader in early irrigation projects, Benson continued to serve the community until his death in 1922.
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 727.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Education • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 12.703′ N, 99° 47.214′ W. Marker is in Uvalde, Texas, in Uvalde County. Marker is on North Getty Street (U.S. 83) north of East Nopal Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located in front of Benson's c1881 house. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Original Site of Uvalde High School (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grand Opera House (about 500 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Uvalde (about 500 feet away); Kincaid Hotel (about 500 feet away); Uvalde County (about 600 feet away); Rice Hotel and Saddlery (about 600 feet away); Uvalde County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); The Uvalde "Leader-News" (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Uvalde.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 14, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 164 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 15, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.