Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Marin House

Second Spanish Colonial Period, Built 1791-1799

 
 
Marin House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, October 31, 2017
1. Marin House Marker
Inscription.  Coquina stone was quarried on Anastasia Island for use as a construction material, and after the Castillo was completed the material became widely used for private homes as a superior alternative to wood frame construction. Francisco Marin, a Minorcan colonist from New Smyrna, acquired this property in 1791 and it remained in the Marin family until 1876. His son built this two story coquina structure and as with other Spanish buildings it features rectangular window openings and is situated on the street edge. After the seawall was completed in 1846, new buildings were constructed with an orientation toward the waterfront landfilled in the area around the remaining Colonial buildings on Marine Street.
 
Erected by City of St. Augustine.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureColonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1791.
 
Location. 29° 53.389′ N, 81° 18.602′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker is on Marine Street south of Bridge Street, on the left when traveling south
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. The address of the Bayfront Marin House which this adjoins is 142 Avenida Menendez. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 47 Marine Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Augustine Sea Wall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Don Toledo/Gaspar Papy House (about 400 feet away); The Historic St. Augustine Seawall (about 400 feet away); Signal From Shore (about 400 feet away); Father Miguel O'Reilly House (about 400 feet away); Cofradia Archaeological Site (about 500 feet away); Solana House (about 600 feet away); The Oldest Presbyterian Church in Florida (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Also see . . .  Bayfront Marin House. (Submitted on December 15, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
 
Marin House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, October 31, 2017
2. Marin House and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 454 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 15, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=111550

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 21, 2024