Chappell Hill in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Farmers State Bank and Reinstein Store
Chappell Hill began as an agricultural community in 1847 but had no bank until a population boom in the early 1900s brought wealth and economic prosperity. Farmers State Bank organized in March 1907 and opened in September of that year with J. J. Shaver as president. Alex Griffin of Brenham was awarded the contract for the construction of a fireproof building. The one-story bank features large storefront panels and transoms and a plaster over brick finish. The bank, renamed Chappell Hill Bank in 1986, also acquired the 1878 W. R. Reinstein Store, a one-story, four-bay brick building with arched entry doors, a stepped parapet and decorative brick corbelling.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16205.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features.
Location. 30° 8.542′ N, 96° 15.435′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5060 Main Street, Chappell Hill TX 77426, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Rock Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Providence Baptist Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Chappell Hill College (approx. ¼ mile away); Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Chappell Hill Female College Bell (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Soule University for Boys (approx. half a mile away); Chappell Hill (approx. half a mile away); Chappell Hill Masonic Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chappell Hill.
Regarding Farmers State Bank and Reinstein Store. Texas Historic Landmark (2009)
Also see . . .
1. Chappell Hill, Texas.
Despite the establishment of the Farmer's State Bank in 1907, commerce declined in volume and variety between 1880 and World War I. By 1914 Chappell Hill had a population of 600. Residents increased to 1,000 by 1930, but the depression and postwar decline in the importance of cotton cultivation resulted in a commercial decline. The population was 300 in 1960. Beginning (Submitted on December 27, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. About Chappell Hill Bank.
The Chappell Hill Bank was chartered in 1907 and has operated continuously in the same location in Washington County since its inception. The bank was originally chartered as Farmers State Bank in 1907. In 1989 the Articles of Association were officially amended to change the name from Farmers State Bank to Chappell Hill Bank. Being the oldest bank in Texas in its original location that has never closed, the bank has built a reputation of conservative soundness. During the Depression, the bank kept its doors open in spite of great adversity, thereby instilling confidence in the community. (Submitted on December 27, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 29, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 253 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 27, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.