Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arrington in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Wilson Creek Primitive Baptist Church

 
 
Wilson Creek Primitive Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Karen Emerson-McPeak, April 23, 2015
1. Wilson Creek Primitive Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  This church was organized on October 13, 1804 with forty-six members including fourteen African-Americans. Early families to worship here were Clayton, Davis, Fleming, Hill, Hyde, Jordon, McKnight, McFadden, and Pate. The site was donated by John D. Hill, the congregation’s first clerk. The brick church, which is the oldest meeting house in the county, was built in 1816. Elder Garner McConnico (1771-1833) served as the first minister. During the Civil War the building was used as a barracks by Union troops. The names of soldiers and their regiments were inscribed on pews and columns.
 
Erected by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee – Williamson County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1804.
 
Location. 35° 51.521′ N, 86° 39.507′ W. Marker is in Arrington, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on Nolensville Rd near
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
TN Hwy 96, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7940 Nolensville Rd, Arrington TN 37014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Triune (approx. 0.2 miles away); Triune United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Triune Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bostick Female Academy (approx. 0.4 miles away); Green Grove Primitive Baptist Church, Est. 1870 / (approx. 1.3 miles away); Kings’ Chapel Cemetery / Major William Edmondson (approx. 1.7 miles away); Kings' Chapel (approx. 1.7 miles away); Wheeler's Raid Around Rosecrans (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arrington.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 31, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 31, 2017, by Karen Emerson-McPeak of Triune, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 542 times since then and 11 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on December 31, 2017, by Karen Emerson-McPeak of Triune, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=112078

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024