Cahaba in Dallas County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Behind the Big House
Stephen Barker built these quarters in 1860 on the northern edge of town. As you can see in the photograph, this structure originally had no columns and sat behind Barker's large brick mansion.
After the Civil War, Confederate veteran Samuel McCurdy Kirkpatrick and his wife Sarah purchased Barker's large home and all of its outlying structures. As other residents started to abandon Cahawba, the Kirkpatricks purchased the vacated lots. They transformed the dying town into a large farm. For nearly seventy years, three generations of Kirkpatricks managed a model farm here called "Kirk-View."
The mansion burned in 1935. After the fire, a grandson of Samuel and Sarah Kirkpatrick created a home for his new bride by adding columns and a back wing to Barker's old slave quarters.
Erected 2015 by the Alabama Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 32° 19.427′ N, 87° 5.875′ W. Marker was in Cahaba, Alabama, in Dallas County. Marker was on Oak Street north of Fifth North Street, on the left when traveling north. Located within the Cahawba Archaeological Park (nominal fee required). Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: Oak Street, Orrville AL 36767, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named Behind the Big House (here, next to this marker); The Duke of Cahaba (a few steps from this marker); Death in the Street (approx. 0.3 miles away); Who Lived Here? (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Hole That Was Once a Row (approx. 0.3 miles away); Drug Store & the Rooms Above (approx. 0.3 miles away); Drug Store & the Room Above (approx. 0.3 miles away); Yankees in Cahawba (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cahaba.
More about this marker. This marker was replaced by a newer marker, with the same title and some of the same text.
Regarding Behind the Big House. In 1866, shortly after the Civil War and a severe flood, the county seat was moved from Cahaba to Selma. Residents rapidly abandoned the town. Many homes were dismantled and reassembled elsewhere.
Despite this trend, returning Confederate
The Kirkpatrick home burned in 1935. The structure you see today was one of two located behind the house and was originally constructed as slave quarters.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 10, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 476 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 10, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.