Jamestown in Stutsman County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Fort William H. Seward
Near this Marker is the Site of
Officer In Command
Captain John H. Patterson
in the Spring of 1876 two companies of the 7th Cavalry
were encamped in this valley for three weeks.
In the Indian Campaign which followed, these troops
were among the victims of the Custer Massacre.
Erected 1929 by Fort Seward Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution Jamestown, North Dakota.
Location. 46° 54.792′ N, 98° 43.26′ W. Marker is in Jamestown, North Dakota, in Stutsman County. Marker is on 10th Avenue Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 605 10th Ave NW, Jamestown ND 58401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Seward (here, next to this marker); Model 1861 8" Siege Howitzer (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Fort Seward (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alton Klaus (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Hansen Arts Park Where the Two Rivers Meet (approx. ¾ mile away); Jamestown Dam (approx. 1.4 miles away); World's Largest Buffalo (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jamestown.
Also see . . . Fort Seward, Jamestown, North Dakota. (Submitted on January 14, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota.)
Categories. • Forts or Castles • Wars, US Indian •
More. Search the internet for Fort William H. Seward.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.