Jamestown in Stutsman County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Fort Seward, formerly Fort Cross, was established June 3, 1872. The post was built on a bluff overlooking the confluence of the James River and Pipestone Creek. Although the Sioux Indians had recently been settled on reservations, occasional raiding parties and intermittent warfare further west indicated a need for military production for Northern Pacific railroad workers and property.
Established along the rail line, Fort Seward served as a depot for supplies enroute to Fort Tolten, eighty-one miles to the north. Other fort functions included assisting U.S. marshals' enforcement of federal laws in the Jamestown vicinity, supporting the telegraph company in keeping its line open, and serving as a military mail and message transfer point. Soldiers escorted the paymaster and the officers and accompanied herds of beef cattle enroute to posts on the Missouri River.
The two-company Infantry post was named for William H. Seward, former U.S Secretary of State, and was originally commanded by Captain J.C. Bates, Company B, 20th U.S Infantry. Built mostly of lumber, for buildings include quarters for troops and officers,
During the summer of 1872, 900 railway workers resided in tents in the vicinity of Fort Seward. After railroad construction stalled at Bismarck in 1873, there was decreasing need for Fort Seward's military protection and the Fort was abandoned on September 30, 1877. Most of the buildings were dismantled and the lumber shipped to fort Totten. In 1925, the Northern Pacific Railroad deeded a portion of the Fort Seward site to the State Historical Society. In 1969, the Lutheran Hospitals and Homes Society of America donated additional land.
Erected 1989 by State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Railroads & Streetcars • Wars, US Indian. A significant historical date for this entry is June 3, 1872.
Location. 46° 54.794′ N, 98° 43.26′ W. Marker is in Jamestown, North Dakota, in Stutsman County. Marker is on 10th Avenue Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 605 10th Ave NW, Jamestown ND 58401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Model 1861 8" Siege Howitzer (here, next to this marker); Fort William H. Seward (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Fort Seward (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alton Klaus (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Hansen Arts Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); In Celebration of the Two Hundredth Year Birthday of the United States of America, 1976 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Where the Two Rivers Meet (approx. ¾ mile away); Jamestown Dam (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jamestown.
Also see . . . Fort Seward, Jamestown, North Dakota. (Submitted on January 14, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 236 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.