This building was originally a double-pen slave cabin from Welham Plantation built circa 1840. Upon relocation in 1871, it was converted to a blacksmith's shop.
It retains its mortise-and-tenon construction, but has been modified with a new briquette-entre-poteaux walls. A dirt (fireproof) floor was needed; therefore, the flooring was removed. The chimney was converted into a vent to release heat.
Erected by LSU Rural Life Museum. (Marker Number 25.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 24.641′ N, 91° 6.907′ W. Marker is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in East Baton Rouge Parish. Marker can be reached from Essen Lane (State Road 3064) south of Interstate 10, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4560 Essen Lane, Baton Rouge LA 70808, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Single-Pen Slave Cabin (a few steps from this marker); Schoolhouse (a few steps from this
More about this marker. Located on the grounds of the LSU Rural Life Museum
Also see . . . LSU Rural Life Museum. (Submitted on January 15, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 127 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 15, 2018.