Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rescue in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Old Coloma Road

 
 
Old Coloma Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, September 8, 2008
1. Old Coloma Road Marker
Inscription.  With the discovery of gold on January 24, 1848, Coloma Road became one of the primary routes to the gold fields of El Dorado County. The road started at Sutter’s Fort (New Helvitia), then proceeded to Willow Springs (near Folsom), Mormon Island, Green Valley (near Rescue), Rose Springs, turned north at Tennessee Creek, crossed Dry Creek and then Weber Creek, and continued on to Coloma. Soon thereafter, a connection to Uniontown (Lotus) was built and the present-day general road alignment for Green Valley Road and Lotus Roads completed.
 
Erected 2008 by El Dorado County Department of Transportation, El Dorado County and Rescue Historical Societies (July 2008).
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable EventsNotable PlacesRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1758.
 
Location. 38° 42.689′ N, 120° 57.119′ W. Marker is in Rescue, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Green Valley Road and Deer Valley Road, on the left when traveling
Old Coloma Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, September 8, 2008
2. Old Coloma Road Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
east on Green Valley Road. Marker is located in the park adjacent to the Rescue Fire Station. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5221 Deer Valley Rd, Rescue CA 95672, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Coloma Road (within shouting distance of this marker); James Skinner Winery & Distillery (approx. 2˝ miles away); Camp Site of Boston-Newton Party (approx. 3˝ miles away); Pleasant Grove House (approx. 3.8 miles away); Du Roc House (approx. 4.1 miles away); Wakamatsu Tea and Silk Farm Colony (approx. 5.3 miles away); El Dorado (Mud Springs) (approx. 5.9 miles away); El Dorado (approx. 5.9 miles away).
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Other Coloma Road markers in El Dorado and Sacramento Counties.
 
Also see . . .  El Dorado County History. (Submitted on September 9, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,547 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 9, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=11282

Paid Advertisement
Nov. 30, 2021