Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Medford in Jackson County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Medford Auto Company Building

Historic Renovation Award 2008

 
 
Medford Auto Company Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 10, 2017
1. Medford Auto Company Building Marker
Inscription.  This single-story concrete structure was built in 1926 for the Medford Auto Company, and is one of many similar structures built on this portion of the Pacific Highway referred to as "auto row" from 1925 to 1930. This building was home to the Buick dealership, owned and managed by J.H. Dennison until 1930. At that time, the dealership was transferred to the Scherer Motor Company, and by the mid-1930s the building housed the Lange Motor Company.

A variety of uses have occupied this structure since that time including a warehouse, a business school, and the U.S. Government's military recruitment station. The building is considered to be a primary contributing structure in the Medford Downtown Historic District.

In recognition of excellence in the historically sensitive restoration of the Medford Auto Company Building, owners David and Susie Smith are awarded this plaque by the Medford Landmarks and Historic Preservation Commission.
 
Erected 2008 by Medford Landmarks and Historic Preservation Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce
Medford Auto Company Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 10, 2017
2. Medford Auto Company Building Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1926.
 
Location. 42° 19.687′ N, 122° 52.258′ W. Marker is in Medford, Oregon, in Jackson County. Marker is on North Riverside Avenue (U.S. 99), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Medford OR 97501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cuthbert Building (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Town is Born (about 600 feet away); Medford Boomed As Orchards Bloomed (about 600 feet away); The War Brings Change (about 600 feet away); The Shone-Charley House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Land Survey Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Medford Townsite (approx. 0.4 miles away); Scion of the Washington Elm (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medford.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 17, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=112838

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 31, 2021