Sacramento in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Sacramento's Early Waterfront
Too large for river travel, these ships were replaced by smaller one- and two-masted vessels which soon gave way to steamboats. By 1854 the foot of K Street hummed with activity, and the "city of the plain" emerged as the most important shipping terminal in the gold region.
In the 1860s, Central Pacific Railroad constructed an extensive docking facility and freight yard by the river between H and K Streets. In 1910 CP's successor, Southern Pacific, raised its entire waterfront 10 to 15 feet and built a concrete wall along the river from I to R Streets. With the growth of highways, the waterfront declined, and now visitors to Old Sacramento see a partial restoration of the 1860s "scene."
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sacramento CA 95814, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eagle Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Booth Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); New England Seed Store (about 400 feet away); Prisoner of the River (about 400 feet away); Vernon-Brannan House (about 400 feet away); 1854 Flagpole (about 400 feet away); 1854 City Hall and Waterworks (about 400 feet away); First Transcontinental Railroad Groundbreaking Site (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sacramento.
More about this marker. Marker is located in Old Sacramento River Park along the Sacramento River Bike Trail.
Categories. • Parks & Recreational Areas •
More. Search the internet for Sacramento's Early Waterfront.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 20, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.