Elkton in Douglas County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Douglas County History
On the west bank and upstream is the site of Fort Umpqua. Established in 1836 by the Hudson’s Bay Company, the fort was a twelve foot high and ninety foot square stockade with bastions at diagonal corners. The fort served as a dwelling for superintendent Jean Baptiste Gagnier and his family who were the first residents of Douglas County. The fort consisted of a range of stores and quarters for six employees. Outside was a barn and stable, a few apple trees, and eighty fenced acres under cultivation.
Fort Umpqua, the southernmost fur trading post was twice besieged by Indians. The advent of the gold rush and the donation land laws began bringing settlers to Umpqua Valley and marked the end of the profitable Indian trade and the post was abandoned in 1852.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 43° 37.871′ N, 123° 33.859′ W. Marker is in Elkton, Oregon, in Douglas County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elkton OR 97436, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Umpqua (HBC fort, 1836-1853).
Fort Umpqua was a small but important post in the Hudson’s Bay Company’s fur-trade empire in the Oregon Country. The farthest south of the company’s posts, the fort was located on the Umpqua River in present-day Douglas County. Operating between 1836 and the early 1850s, it was crucial to the supply of the HBC’s regular Southern party, which annually trapped for beaver southward from the Umpqua River and into central California. During the 1840s, Fort Umpqua served as a waystop for travelers on what became the main trail between California and Oregon. It was the first non-Native year-round settlement in southern Oregon. (Submitted on January 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Fort Umpqua.
Fort Umpqua was first established in 1832 at the confluence of Calapooya Creek and the Umpqua River. In 1836 it was moved and rebuilt on the south bank of the Umpqua River near the mouth of Elk Creek, at present-day Elkton, Oregon. The fort was intended to serve company's fur trade operations along the Umpqua River, Rogue River, and Klamath River. (Submitted on January 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Second Fort Umpqua.
Another Fort Umpqua was established later, in 1856 at the end of the 1855–1856 Rogue River War. It was located on the north bank of the Umpqua River about two miles from its mouth, near Gardiner, Oregon. Its structures including a blockhouse and barracks was built from salvaged material from Fort Orford. Troops from the District of California continued to be stationed here until conflict with Native American tribes subsided. The fort was abandoned in 1862. The old blockhouse and soldiers' barracks were later moved into town as a memorial. (Submitted on January 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3. submitted on January 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.