Originally built as a slave cabin, this building was later converted into the kitchen for the Overseer's House. Its use as a schoolhouse began in the late 1800's and continued into the 1930's. The structure was moved to the museum from Welham Plantation in 1971.
The children of some plantation owners were educated at private or parochial academies, while others were taught by hired tutors. These tutors were frequently permitted to use their personal time to teach children of the plantation overseer and of neighboring yeoman farmers for a fee.
Erected by LSU Rural Life Museum. (Marker Number 24.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Agriculture • Education • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 24.638′ N, 91° 6.922′ W. Marker is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in East Baton Rouge Parish. Marker can be reached from Essen Lane (State Road 3064) near 10, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4560 Essen Lane, Baton Rouge LA 70808, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
More about this marker. Located on the grounds of the LSU Rural Life Museum complex.
Also see . . . LSU Rural Life Museum. (Submitted on January 14, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on January 31, 2018, by T. Patton of Jefferson, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 14, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.