Klamath Falls in Klamath County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
City Father - Arrived 1866
1867 - 1869 - 1878
Opened First Trading Post
Built the Bridge Across Link River
Platted Town and Called it Linkville
Donated the Land For the First Cemetery
The First Postmaster,
Gave the Settlement It's First School.
Donated Land For the First Courthouse
First Hotel Keeper, First Livery Stable Operator,
Linkville Renamed Klamath Falls in 1893
Born June 4, 1820
Died in Yreka, CA on November 26, 1895
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Bridges & Viaducts • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Communications • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 42° 13.982′ N, 121° 46.929′ W. Marker is in Klamath Falls, Oregon, in Klamath County. Marker can be reached from Upham St. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Klamath Falls OR 97601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within This Marks the Road to Topsy Grade (approx. half a mile away); Van Brimmer Cabin 1864-1928 (approx. half a mile away); Marion Apartments (approx. half a mile away); Whitlock House (approx. half a mile away); Locomotive 2579 (approx. 0.9 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); George Nurse (In Memory of) (approx. one mile away); Pioneer Furtrader (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Klamath Falls.
More about this marker. Marker is located in Linkville Cemetery.
Regarding George Nurse. Oregonhistoryproject.org: Born in New York in 1820, George Nurse, pictured here circa 1900, entered the Oregon Country through California in the early 1860s. In 1860, the Federal Government granted the states swamplands, and by 1867, Oregon opened these lands to settlers. That same year, after securing 160 acres from the state, Nurse established Linkville on the eastern bank of the Link River, between Klamath Lake and Lake Ewauna.
Nurse registered the first plat of the town in 1878. He rafted lumber 42 miles down Klamath Lake from Fort Klamath sawmill to build a store and hotel which would accommodate area settlers and passing travelers. “Generous to a fault,” Nurse donated land from the townsite to settlers promising to build a home and later provided sites for a school, courthouse, and cemetery. Newspaper
After wearing many hats in Linkville, including six years as postmaster and a brief turn at registrar of the land office, Nurse moved in 1883 to Yreka, California. Linkville was renamed Klamath Falls in 1893, and today, the Link River Bridge crosses the river at the site of Nurse’s store.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Oregon History Project. (Submitted on February 2, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 2, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 2, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.