Salem in Marion County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Willamette University College of Medicine
In 1867, Willamette University founded the first medical school in the Pacific Northwest – the third such college west of St. Louis. This college was maintained in Salem from 1867 until 1913 except for the period 1878 to 1895 during which it was operated in Portland. The medical school building which was erected at the northwest corner of the campus in 1905 served the school until 1913 when the college was merged with The University of Oregon School of Medicine in Portland. This plaque is provided by graduates of Willamette University in the medical profession to commemorate the one hundredth anniversary of the founding of the pioneer school and to honor the service of the doctors here educated.
Erected 1967 by Graduates of Willamette University in the Medical Profession.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Science & Medicine.
Location. 44° 56.254′ N, 123° 1.795′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 950 State Street, Salem OR 97301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Column Segments (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dedicated to You, A Free Citizen in a Free Land (about 600 feet away); T.G. Bligh Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Salem (approx. 0.4 miles away); Herbert Hoover Boyhood Home (approx. 1.6 miles away); Turner (approx. 7.6 miles away); Polk County Fairgrounds Applegate Trail Kiosk (approx. 9.7 miles away); James W. Nesmith (approx. 9.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
More about this marker. Marker is a metal tablet with bas-relief sculpture of a pioneer saddlebag doctor, mounted on a tall brick pedestal near the sidewalk
Also see . . .
1. Willamette University.
Willamette University grew slowly, as funds were difficult to raise in a frontier environment. In 1864, Reverend Alvan Waller began raising money for a new college building. Completed in 1867, the imposing new brick structure, initially known as University Hall (later Waller Hall) stood five stories high in the form of a Greek cross. That same year, the university started a medical college on campus, the first professional school established in the Pacific Northwest. (Submitted on February 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. OHSU School of Medicine History.
The OHSU School of Medicine has roots dating back to the late 19th century and is one of the oldest western medical schools. In 2012, the OHSU School of Medicine celebrated the 125th anniversary of its founding. (Submitted on February 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Willamette University College of Medicine. In 1867, the College of Medicine was officially organized at Willamette. The school opened with 24 students led by Dr. Horace Carpenter. For two years prior the school had been teaching medicine. In 1874, the school had 14 students and 11 professors. Women were attending the school of medicine by 1877. By 1909 the school had an enrollment of 29 and a staff of 16. At that time entering students were not required to have even completed high school. (Submitted on February 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 4. submitted on February 5, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.