Duluth in Gwinnett County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Builder: O.F. Jordan Company
Built For: MacDougald Construction Co.
Class: Knuckle Brace
Weight: 85,000 lbs
The Spreader was a railroad car designed to spread or shape ballast profiles as well as clear snow in winter. The various ploughs, wings, and blades of a spreader allows them to build banks, clean and dig ditches, evenly distribute gravel, as well as trim embankments of brush along the side of the track.
The cars where operated with the use of air pumped into a massive tank located in the center of the car. The air was taken directly from the train's brake lines, and as the cars where not capable of moving under their own power, required a locomotive to pump the air and move the vehicle. The car featured central pneumatic controls, all mounted on a riveted chassis.
Spreader #JX635 was ordered in 1926 by Mr. Alex MacDougald. It was was shipped to him on November the 8th of that year and initially cost $10,500.
Mr Alex MacDougald, who was born Alexander (he dropped the "ander" from his name in order to speed up signing checks and other paperwork related to his
Mr. MacDougald got involved and when the original company was dissolved, he took over it's equipment and it's contracts. In 1919 the MacDougald Construction Co. was formed.
MacDougald Construction Co. operated a growing business based in the Atlanta area. The company was involved in road grading and construction, dock-work, and had a number of railroad contracts. Enough so to own and operate a small fleet of switch locomotives. During the second world war, MacDougald worked on the Bell Bomber, later Lockheed Plant in Marietta, as well as built a dry dock at Charleston. MacDougald also built eight miles of Interstate 20 in Atlanta, from Hill Street near downtown to Candler Road in DeKalb County.
MacDougald assets were eventually sold to CW Matthews Contracting Co. of Atlanta and dissolved in 1977.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1926.
Location. 33° 59.348′ N, 84° 9.29′ W. Marker is in Duluth, Georgia, in Gwinnett County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3595 Buford Hwy, Duluth GA 30096, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Steam Locomotion at High Tide! (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Passenger Coach No. 3780 (about 300 feet away); The History of the Miniature Train Company (about 500 feet away); Home of Alice Harrell Strickland - Georgia's First Woman Mayor (approx. 1.4 miles away); Peachtree Road (approx. 1.6 miles away); State R.R. Survey (approx. 2.7 miles away); "Holy Row" (approx. 4½ miles away); The Historic Norcross Cotton Gin (approx. 4½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Duluth.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 9, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. This page has been viewed 248 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 9, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.