Southwest Federal Center in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This building was originally constructed in 1881 for use by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. In an effort to fireproof the building and protect it contents, only stone, brick and metal materials were used in its construction. By 1907 the Bureau had outgrown the building and moved out. Auditors for the Navy, Treasury, and State Departments then occupied the building which became known for most of the 20th century as the Auditor's Building. The term "red tape was coined during their tenure here, as employees wrapped bills they had audited in red binding tape.
In 1985 major renovation and restoration work commenced to prepare for the Forest Service occupancy which began in the spring of 1990. Two types of slate used during the construction of the building are still visible in the building's interior. On the stair case in front of you, the original maroon slate treads quarried in Pennsylvania were flipped during the renovation for reuse. The square black tiles on the entry floor (today's second floor) came from Virginia. On January 3, 1999 Congress officially renamed the Auditor's building the Sydney R. Yates Federal Building
Erected by Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Architecture • Government & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
Location. 38° 53.246′ N, 77° 1.927′ W. Marker is in Southwest Federal Center in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker is at the intersection of 14th Street Southwest and Independence Avenue Southwest on 14th Street Southwest. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 14th Street Southwest, Washington DC 20227, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Escape Across the Potomac (within shouting distance of this marker); James Wilson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wilson Memorial Arch (about 300 feet away); The General Dwight David Eisenhower Plaza (about 300 feet away); Smokey Bear Blue Spruce (about 300 feet away); Raoul Wallenberg Place (about 400 feet away); Jean Hillery and Thomas Quadros (about 400 feet away); Steven Thomas Stefani IV (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Southwest Federal Center.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 22, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 315 times since then and 44 times this year. Last updated on February 16, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1. submitted on November 22, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 2. submitted on November 27, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 2, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 6. submitted on June 28, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.