St. Landry Catholic Cemetery
Established circa 1798; Opelousas oldest cemetery. Located on land donated by Michel Prudhomme in 1796. It is the final resting place of numerous New York Orphan Train Riders and many veterans of wars dating back to the American Revolution. Also interred here are prominent citizens of South Louisiana
(continued on other side)
(continued from other side)
Among those interred are: Sarah Verlinda Hardey (oldest known marker grave - 1818); Jacques Dupré; Gen. Garrigues de Flaujac; Edith Garland Dupré; Mayor Martin Roy; Carlos Moore; Marie Céleste Dupré Robertson; U.S. Rep. Henry D. Larcade, Jr.; Msgr. A.B. Colliard; and, Sr. Madeleine Sophie Hebert, MSC.
Erected 2016 by St. Landry Catholic Cemetery Tour Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion.
Location. 30° 32.556′ N, 92° 4.752′ W. Marker is in Opelousas, Louisiana, in St. Landry Parish. Marker is at the intersection
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Landry Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named St. Landry Catholic Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lt. Fr. Joseph "Verbis" Lafleur (about 400 feet away); Opelousas Catholic School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Black Academy At Mt. Olive Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Bloch Corner (approx. 0.6 miles away); City Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away); Louisiana Memorial Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Opelousas.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 19, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 19, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 186 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 19, 2018.