Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Intersection of Washington and South Commerce streets

Natchez Trails

 
 
Intersection of Washington and South Commerce streets Marker image. Click for full size.
July 7, 2017
1. Intersection of Washington and South Commerce streets Marker
Inscription.  
The present Temple B'nai Israel, built in 1904, replaced an 1870s temple that burned (pictured above). Both reflect the success of Jewish merchants after the Civil War. Jews lived in Natchez as early as the late 1700s, but their numbers grew in the 1840s from large waves of immigration from France and Germany. The Jewish population was fully involved in the economic, social, and civic life of Natchez.

Jewish women served on the board of the Protestant Orphan Asylum and other charitable organizations. They joined the garden clubs and played roles in building the city's heritage tourism economy. Jane Wexler, daughter of a prominent Jewish family, served as queen of the Spring Pilgrimage tour season in 1935.

Natchez elected a Jewish mayor, Isaac Lowenburg (far left), in 1882. He was a German immigrant who came to Natchez during the Civil War as a contract merchant with the Union Army and stayed to become a successful businessman. To his right stands Jewish businessman Cassius Tillman, who served as county sheriff, treasurer, and school board member.

Built in 1822, Trinity

Intersection of Washington and South Commerce streets Marker image. Click for full size.
July 7, 2017
2. Intersection of Washington and South Commerce streets Marker
Episcopal Church is the oldest church building in Natchez. Before the Civil War, the families of many of the richest cotton planters filled the pews. Later additions to the building include stained glass windows by Louis Comfort Tiffany and John LaFarge. Next to the church is Kuehnle Hall, constructed in 1886 and named for the Rev. Joseph H. Kuehnle, rector from 1914 to 1946.

Glen Auburn is Mississippi's grandest example of the French Second Empire style, known for its distinctive mansard roof. The 1870s home of Christian Schwartz is symbolic of the rise of the merchant class, which replaced the slave-owning planter class in influence and wealth in Natchez after the Civil War.
 
Erected by City of Natchez.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi - Natchez Trails series list.
 
Location. 31° 33.472′ N, 91° 24.245′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of South Commerce Street and Washington Street, on the right when traveling south on South Commerce Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Natchez MS 39120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
of this marker. Temple B'Nai Israel (a few steps from this marker); Intersection of Washington and South Union streets (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Intersection of Washington and South Pearl streets (about 400 feet away); Intersection of State and South Pearl streets (about 400 feet away); The First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); Lambert-Taylor House (about 700 feet away); In Gratitude (about 700 feet away); United States Courthouse (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 22, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 22, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 22, 2018.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 4, 2020