Dayton in Yamhill County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Courthouse Square Park
Fort Yamhill Blockhouse
An Anticipating Town Square
The founders hoped that Dayton would become the county seat of Yamhill County, and planned that a courthouse would rise on this block. When the courthouse did not come, the block became the town square, with a bandstand, fountain, war memorial, and a historic blockhouse.
Many Years of Service
The blockhouse served from 1856 to 1866 at Fort Yamhill, a US Army post about thirty miles west of Dayton. The fort was a buffer at the western edge of the Grand Ronde Indian Reservation, where many Western Oregon natives were forcibly relocated after the wars of 1851-1856. When the fort was abandoned, the blockhouse was moved to Old Grand Ronde and used as a jail and storage building by the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
“Its form is different from
This design allowed for rifles to be fired form all eight sides every 45 degrees instead of four sides every 90 degrees. -- Jamieson Parker, Historic American Building Survey
(side-bar, upper right:)
Palmer came to Oregon from Indiana in 1845, and helped forge the Barlow Road around Mount Hood. He was Superintendent of Indian Affairs in Oregon from 1853 to 1856. Known as “General” Joel Palmer, he established the western Oregon reservations and led the way for removal of the tribes; which kept tribes safe from settler attacks. Palmer was forced from that office, accused of favoring native interests over those of immigrant settlers.
The blockhouse was neglected until John G. Lewis of Dayton arranged in 1911 to acquire it from the US government. It was moved to Dayton’s Courthouse Square Park as a memorial to Joel Palmer.
Erected by Oregon Heritage Commission, The City of Dayton & Downtown Dayton.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Native Americans. In addition, it is included in the Oregon Beaver Boards series list.
Location. 45° 13.275′ N, 123° 4.575′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Oregon, in Yamhill County. Marker is on SouthEast Dayton-Salem Highway (aka 3rd Street) (Oregon Route 221) near Main Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 3rd Street, Dayton OR 97114, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Yamhill Blockhouse (a few steps from this marker); Pioneer Park and Blockhouse (a few steps from this marker); Willamette Post (approx. 7.1 miles away); Hoover - Minthorn House (approx. 7˝ miles away); Champoeg (approx. 8.7 miles away); Madame Marie Dorion (approx. 9.4 miles away); a different marker also named Madame Marie Dorion (approx. 9.4 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker is located in Courthouse Square Park.
Also see . . . Oregon Travel Experience - Dayton Courthouse Square Park and Blockhouse. The official 'Beaver Board' website for Oregon State Historical Markers (Submitted on February 23, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 23, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 92 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 23, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.