Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Lost Mountain Cross-Roads

 
 
Lost Mountain Cross-Roads Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, May 24, 2008
1. Lost Mountain Cross-Roads Marker
Inscription.  On May 23-24, 1864, Lt. Gen. Leonidas Polk's Corps (CS) marched from Allatoona, Bartow Co., to Dallas, Paulding Co., passing Lost Mountain Post Office. On June 4-5, Polk's Corps withdrew from the Dallas-New Hope front to Lost Mtn., the position here being the Left Flank of Johnston's first Kennesaw Line. On the 9th, Polk's corps was shifted eastward to the vicinity of New Salem Church north of the Burnt Hickory Rd., where it formed the center of the line. This shift was a necessary move in the extension of Johnston's Line eastward of the State R.R., because of the arrival of the Federal 17th Corps on his right flank.
 
Erected 1985 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 033-3.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1773.
 
Location. 33° 56.446′ N, 84° 42.184′ W. Marker is near Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of Dallas Highway (
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Georgia Route 120) and Mars Hill Road (Georgia Route 176), on the right when traveling west on Dallas Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Powder Springs GA 30127, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Green Plantation (approx. 2.4 miles away); Davis' Cross Roads (approx. 2.7 miles away); Military Action at Gilgal Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Old Sandtown Road (approx. 3 miles away); Due West Community (approx. 3 miles away); Battle of Gilgal Church (approx. 3 miles away); Site of the Dickson House (approx. 3.2 miles away); Darby Plantation (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
 
Old Country Store at Lost Mountain Cross-Roads image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, May 24, 2008
2. Old Country Store at Lost Mountain Cross-Roads
The store, a long-time landmark at the intersection, has been restored and sensitively adapted as a branch bank. The marker is in front of the store.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,888 times since then and 134 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=11440

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 23, 2024