Mendenhall in Simpson County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Weathersby and Choctaw Heritage
— Simpson County Heritage Trail —
What is the Simpson County Heritage Trail?
The Simpson County Heritage Trail was established through the Simpson County Development Foundation in 2011. Each stop along the trail is of historic significance to Simpson County, showcasing points of interest and facts about the origins of the County.
The Choctaw nation was divided into northern, central and southern divisions. The area that is now Simpson County was in the extreme SW portion of the southern division, part of the Six Towns district. The famous Pushmataha was a chief of the Six Towns district. While there are some mounds in the county and Choctaw artifacts have been found, there is no definite evidence of Choctaw towns. The well-known Three-Chopped-Way may have crossed the SW corner of the county. An 1824 map of Mississippi shows an "old Indian path" crossing Simpson County.
Through a series of treaties between 1786 and 1830, the Choctaw Nations progressively ceded its lands to the United States. The area that is now Simpson County was in the extreme southeast corner of the territory
Subsequent to the Treaty of Doak's Stand, the last Choctaw encampment in Simpson County was south of Weathersby. This area was settled in the early 1800s by the Hayes and Weathersby families. A town grew up in the area including stores, mills, a hotel, a church, and a school. The first post office was established in 1897, and the town was incorporated in 1901.
Today Weathersby has been incorporated into Mendenhall; however, it is still a distinct community centering around the historic Weathersby Baptist Church, which is located directly on U. S. Highway 49.
From the Columns of Bee King
The Simpson County News
Portrait of Pushmataha unveiled April 1, 2001. It hangs in the Mississippi Hall of Fame, Old Capitol Museum, in Jackson, Mississippi. The portrait was presented by the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians. Portrait by Mississippian Katherine Roche Buchanan. Courtesy Missisippi Department of Archives and History.
Map of U.S. states Arkansas, Mississippi, and Oklahoma in relation to Choctaw land ceded to the U.S. According to the Treaty of Doak's Stand the area in orange was ceded to the United States, and the area in green was ceded to the Choctaw nation.
Erected 2014 by the Simpson County Development Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is April 1, 2001.
Location. 31° 56.313′ N, 89° 49.91′ W. Marker is in Mendenhall, Mississippi, in Simpson County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street and U.S. 49, on the right when traveling east on Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 Church Street, Mendenhall MS 39114, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mendenhall (approx. 2.8 miles away); Sanatorium (approx. 4˝ miles away); Magee (approx. 7.3 miles away); Magee - McNair Springs (approx. 7.3 miles away); Simpson County Veterans Monument (approx. 7.3 miles away); Westville, Mississippi (approx. 8.3 miles away); Braxton (approx. 10.3 miles away); Flags Over Simpson County (approx. 10.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on February 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 26, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 362 times since then and 115 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 26, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.