Magee in Simpson County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Simpson County Heritage Trail
Early Settlement and Historic Preservation
The area was first settled in the early 1800s. In 1840, Willie Magee built a grist mill on Little Goodwater Creek, inside the present city limits. The community grew and in 1900 was incorporated as the Village of Magee. The original business district, just off U. S. Highway 49 contains several historic buildings, including the Magee Community House, home of the Lamplighter Community Theater.
The McAlpin House and Gardens, a beautifully preserved early twentieth century Victorian house and garden available for private and public functions, is an outstanding example of the historic houses still existing in Magee.
Appreciating its historical and cultural heritage, but always looking forward, today Magee takes its place as one of the most significant towns in the heart of the Piney Woods Region of our state. It is the largest town in Simpson County as well as the retail and banking center of the county. The only municipal airport in Simpson County is located in Magee. Much of the business district is located directly
Recreationally, Magee is bordered both north and south by regionally noted water parks. Just north of Magee, on U. S. Highway 49, is Simpson Legion Fishing Lake. Further to the south, into neighboring Covington County is the Okatoma Creek recreational area, including camping and canoeing facilities.
Erected by the Simpson County Development Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
Location. 31° 52.433′ N, 89° 44.007′ W. Marker is in Magee, Mississippi, in Simpson County. Marker is on 1st Avenue NW north of Choctaw Street, on the right when traveling north. Located in front of the Magee Community House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 1st Avenue NW, Magee MS 39111, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Magee - McNair Springs (here, next to this marker); Simpson County Veterans MonumentSanatorium (approx. 2.9 miles away); Weathersby and Choctaw Heritage (approx. 7.3 miles away); Mendenhall (approx. 10.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on February 28, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 28, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 276 times since then and 113 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 28, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.