Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Kennesaw House

 
 
Kennesaw House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, September 14, 2008
1. Kennesaw House Marker
Inscription.  
In ante-bellum days, this hotel was a summer resort for planters attracted by the gay social activities of the town. In 1862, J. J. Andrews and his Federal raiders met here to begin the daring Locomotive Chase. Confederate wounded were fed and treated here after many battles, and civilian refugees from overrun Tennessee and Kentucky stayed here, moving south as Federals drew near. July 3, 1864, Sherman had his headquarters in the hotel, while directing pursuit of the Confederates retiring into Atlanta. After the War, numerous northern visitors wintered in Marietta, many stopping at the Kennesaw House.
 
Erected 1952 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-109.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsRailroads & StreetcarsWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1856.
 
Location. 33° 57.163′ N, 84° 33.06′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Depot Street west of W Park Square, on the left when traveling west. The marker is located near the northwest corner of the Kennesaw House, now the Marietta Museum of History. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Depot Street, Marietta GA 30060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. UDC and Kennesaw House (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Kennesaw House (here, next to this marker); 1916 Glover Machine Works Locomotive (within shouting distance of this marker); Alexander Stephens Clay (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cobb County (about 400 feet away); The Manning Cabin (approx. 0.2 miles away); African Americans at the Root House (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Root House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
 
Also see . . .
1. Kennesaw House. Marietta Museum of History entry (Submitted on February 3, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 

2. Stealing the General. 2007 book by Russell S. Bonds on Amazon.com. “The true story of the boldest adventure of the Civil War.” “On April 12, 1262—one year to the day after Confederate guns opened on Fort Sumter and started the Civil War—a tall, mysterious smuggler and self-appointed Union spy named James J. Andrews and nineteen infantry volunteers infiltrated
Kennesaw House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, July 2, 2018
2. Kennesaw House Marker
The marker has been moved to the northwest corner of the Kennesaw House, now the Marietta Museum of History. The "UDC and Kennesaw House" Marker is directly to its left.
North Georgia and stole a steam engine called the General. Racing northward at speeds approaching sixty miles an hour, cutting telegraph lines and destroying track along the way, Andrews planned to open East Tennessee to the Union army, cutting off men and matériel from the Confederate forces in Virginia. ... But the General’s young conductor, William A. Fuller, chased the stolen train first on foot, then by handcar, and finally aboard another engine...” (Submitted on August 8, 2007.) This website may earn income if you use this link to make a purchase on Amazon.com. 
 
Kennesaw House and the marker in its previous location near the large tree image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, September 14, 2008
3. Kennesaw House and the marker in its previous location near the large tree
Old Marietta Station (now the Marietta Welcome Center in 2018) adjoining the Kennesaw House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, September 14, 2008
4. Old Marietta Station (now the Marietta Welcome Center in 2018) adjoining the Kennesaw House
A portion of the Mountain to River Trail near the marker and a CSX Train image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Cruce, March 10, 2007
5. A portion of the Mountain to River Trail near the marker and a CSX Train
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2007, by Michael Cruce of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,500 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on September 14, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1. submitted on September 14, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on July 12, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.   3, 4. submitted on September 14, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   5. submitted on July 14, 2007, by Michael Cruce of Marietta, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=11469

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024