Mystic in New London County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
George Greenman House
This house was built in 1839 for George and Abigail Greenman. He was the oldest of the three brothers who founded the George Greenman & Co. Shipyard. The three brothers lived here until Clark Greenman built his house next door on your right in 1841. The youngest brother, Thomas, built his house two doors to your right in 1842. All three houses were built in the Greek Revival style then popular in the U.S. The cast-iron fence was put up about 1866, and the porches and ornate decorations were added to the houses in the 1870s. In style and paint color, the George Greenman House now looks the way it did around 1900. The George Greenman House will be restored as an exhibit building.
This section of Mystic was named Greenmanville after the three brothers. It was an industrial village from the 1840s to the 1890s. In addition to the shipyard, the brothers built a textile mill, rented houses to workers, managed nearby farms, and operated a store. The work schedule reflected the Greenmans' Seventh Day Baptist faith, with the Sabbath observed on Saturday. Strong abolitionists and strict supporters of temperance, the Greenmans were active
Erected by Mystic Seaport Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RR • Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 41° 21.701′ N, 71° 57.811′ W. Marker is in Mystic, Connecticut, in New London County. Marker is at the intersection of Greenmanville Avenue (Connecticut Route 27) and Rossie Street, on the right when traveling south on Greenmanville Avenue. Marker is located directly in front of the George Greenman house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 75 Greenmanville Avenue, Mystic CT 06355, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Langworthy House (within shouting distance of this marker); Clark Greenman House (within shouting distance of this marker); William Haynes House (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas S. Greenman House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Constantine House (about 300 feet away); Brustolon House (about 300 feet away); Whale Ship Charles W. Morgan (about 300 feet away); Lewis House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mystic.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Mystic, Connecticut Historic Houses
Also see . . .
1. George Greenman House.
The Museum purchased the house from George Greenman’s (Submitted on March 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. George Greenman House (1839).
George Greenman was the eldest of three brothers who founded the shipyard in Mystic known as George Greenman & Co. His house on Greenmanville Avenue was built in 1839 and was enlarged and further ornamented later in the nineteenth century. Greenman’s brothers initially resided in the house with him, until they built their own homes nearby on Greenmanville Avenue. The Greenman home is reported to have been a stop on the Underground Railroad. (Submitted on March 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 299 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.