Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
The Church of Saint Michael
Estaba terminada para 1740. Fue destruida por el terremoto de 1751 y levantada de nuevo en 1765. El proyecto de Código Negro Carolino, disponía el traslado a esta iglesia de todos los cofrades de negros.
This church was finished by 1740. It was destroyed by the earthquake of 1751 and built again in 1765. The Carolinian Black Codes project directed that all of the black brotherhoods would be moved to this church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 1740.
Location. 18° 28.531′ N, 69° 53.306′ W. Marker is in Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional. Marker is on Calle José Reyes just south of Calle Juan Isidro Pérez, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional 10211, Dominican Republic. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dominican Resistance to the US Invasion of 1965 (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Chapel of the Hospital of Saint Lazarus (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Monument of the San Francisco Ruins (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Spanish Refugees of 1939 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Hermitage of Saint Anton (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Luisa Ozema Pellerano de Henríquez (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); La Trinitaria Secret Society (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Church of Our Lady of Carmen (approx. half a kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santo Domingo.
Regarding The Church of Saint Michael. The Carolinian Black Codes described in the marker were a series of orders from Spanish king Carlos III in 1785. The codes were an attempt to restrict the interaction of free blacks and slaves in Santo Domingo. As the marker mentions, the Catholic religious brotherhoods ("cofradías") were centralized at this church as a way to limit interaction between free blacks and slaves.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 10, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 10, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.