Mystic in New London County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
This house was built about 1841 by Welcome B. Lewis (1810-1880), a ship carpenter who often worked at the George Greenman & Co. Shipyard. Originally sided with clapboards and painted white, the house was built in the Greek Revival style then prevalent in the U.S.
This section of Mystic was named Greenmanville after the three brothers who established their shipyard here in 1837. It was an industrial village from the 1840s to the 1890s. In addition to the shipyard, the brothers built a textile mill, rented houses to workers, managed nearby farms, and operated a store. The work schedule reflected the Greenmans' Seventh Day Baptist faith, with the Sabbath observed on Saturday.
The Lewis House has been used as a dormitory for the Williams College-Mystic Seaport Maritime Studies Program, a semester-long undergraduate program in American maritime history, literature, marine policy, and science. It is now used as offices by Mystic Seaport.
Erected by Mystic Seaport Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture Education • Man-Made Features.
Location. 41° 21.632′ N, 71° 57.826′ W. Marker is in Mystic, Connecticut, in New London County. Marker is on Greenmanville Avenue (Connecticut Route 27) south of Bruggeman Place, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located directly in front of the Lewis house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 57 Greenmanville Avenue, Mystic CT 06355, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brustolon House (a few steps from this marker); Constantine House (within shouting distance of this marker); Harbor Tugboat Kingston II (within shouting distance of this marker); William Haynes House (within shouting distance of this marker); Propeller Steamer Sabino (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eastern-Rig Dragger Roann (about 300 feet away); Langworthy House (about 300 feet away); Western-Rig Dragger Florence (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mystic.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Mystic, Connecticut Historic Houses
Also see . . . Lewis House.
Lewis House can be seen from Greenmanville Avenue, between the Museum’s North and South entrances. The house is not open to Museum visitors. (Submitted on March 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 77 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.