Madison in Dorchester County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Gethsemane Methodist Protestant Church
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings.
Location. 38° 30.464′ N, 76° 13.268′ W. Marker is in Madison, Maryland, in Dorchester County. Marker is on Old Madison Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1205 Old Madison Road, Madison MD 21648, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Madison (approx. 0.2 miles away); Malone's Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Trinity P.E. Church (approx. 3 miles away); Walk the Old Trinity Heritage Trail (approx. 3 miles away); Anna Ella Carroll (approx. 3 miles away); New Revived Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Finding Freedom (approx. 3.7 miles away); Treaty Oak (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Gethsemane Methodist Protestant Church.
“The first Methodist Protestant Church of Madison was organized in the school house in 1840 by Dr. D. F. Ewell and some members who withdrew from the Methodist Episcopal Church. Next they used a barn belonging to William R. Tall that had once been the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1843 Cambridge Circuit was organized, and Tobacco Stick, Church Creek, and Lakesville formed part of the new charge. In 1860, during the pastorate of Brother W. H. Lane, the church building that had been erected at Church Creek many years before was moved to Madison and rebuilt on a more desirable site. In 1882 it became a part of the St. Paul's Church of Cambridge. In the summer of 1892 the new building was finished. In 1941 the Quarter Conference changed the name from Madison to Gethsemane.” — National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, Statement of Significance
Also see . . . Madison Methodist Protestant Church. National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, 1975. (Submitted on March 14, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 14, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 92 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 14, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.