Cedar Bluff in Cherokee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Indian Village of Costa
The log building was originally built as a blacksmith shop c. 1832 by G.J. Williamson an early settler. It contains many tools of that period and is believed to be one of the oldest, if not the oldest structure in the county still in use.
The house is the third on this site, the first a log structure, the second an American Gothic type structure, and the present a modified replica of a Virginia Farm house of the 1600's.
Erected by Cherokee County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 34° 13.216′ N, 85° 36.256′ W. Marker is in Cedar Bluff, Alabama, in Cherokee County. Marker is on Old Alabama Route 9 west of Sewell Ferry Road, on the right when traveling west. Across from the office of Cedar Bluff School. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3655 Old Highway 9, Cedar Bluff AL 35959, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cornwall Furnace (approx. 2 miles away); Long Shadows House (approx. 2½ miles away); Gen. N.B. Forrest Captured Col. A.D. Streight (approx. 3.8 miles away); Chattooga River (approx. 3.9 miles away); Gaylesville (approx. 3.9 miles away); Round Mountain Iron Furnace (approx. 4.8 miles away); Gen. John B. Hood Headquarters (approx. 5.6 miles away); Cherokee County Courthouse (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cedar Bluff.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 14, 2018, by Angela Nichols of Centre, Alabama. This page has been viewed 186 times since then and 19 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on March 14, 2018, by Angela Nichols of Centre, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?