Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Arriving on This Island
They came by water. Long before the present-day causeway was built, the only way to reach Jekyll Island was by boat. Large steam-powered vessels from the North such as the Mallory Steamship Line delivered Club staff and sundry personal items including carriages, horses and hounds. The Club owned steam vessels to transport the seasonal inhabitants to and from Jekyll Island.
The first of four Club steamers, the Howland (named for the Club's first president), navigated the waters of the Georgia Coast. Other members arrived on board their private yachts and kept them anchored in the creek during their stay at the Jekyll Island Club.
Captain James Clark was a familiar figure at Jekyll wharf. As a year-round island resident, husband of head housekeeper Minnie Shuppmann and longtime employee, Captain Clark was tightly bound to Jekyll Island. For over 40 years, he escorted the wealthy and those who served them onto the dock at Jekyll.
Erected by Jekyll Island Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 31° 3.546′ N, 81° 25.405′ W. Marker is in Jekyll Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker can be reached from Riverview Drive north of Stable Road, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located along walkway beside Jekyll Wharf, overlooking Fancy Bluff Creek, across the park lawn and due west of the Jekyll Island Clubhouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 371 Riverview Drive, Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jekyll Island Club Wharf (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Evolution of Elegance (about 400 feet away); The Clubhouse (about 400 feet away); Brunswick Across the Sound (about 500 feet away); Up In Smoke (about 500 feet away); First Transcontinental Call (about 600 feet away); Fairbank Cottage Site (about 600 feet away); Men of Means (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jekyll Island.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Jekyll Island Boat House
Also see . . .
1. The Boat House Site.
Many Club members were met at the wharf by the steamer The Jekyll Island; The Hattie; The Sybil (45 foot Naphtha Launch named for Sybil Brewster); (Submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Jekyll Island History.
Transportation to the island was primarily by boat until 1954. In 1949 the Robert E. Lee sternwheeler initially transported passengers back and forth from Brunswick and Jekyll. However, possibly due to a disagreement with the Brunswick Port Authority, the Robert E. Lee left the area July 7, 1949 and began operating on the Savannah River. Two Fort Lauderdale ships: the Seven-Eleven, a former Navy torpedo boat, and the Dragon, a smaller deep sea fishing vessel, immediately took over the Brunswick to Jekyll route. (Submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.