Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Morgan Tennis Court
By 1905, tennis was gaining popularity on the island over hunting. Robert Pruyn, chairman of the committee on golf and sports, said, "For two years, tennis has been the most popular outdoor sport," and requested additional courts to be constructed.
This indoor tennis court, named for Club President J.P. Morgan Jr. (below left), was completed in 1930, and several lively tournaments were played here from 1934 to the close of the Club.
Bernon S. Prentice, Club President and Davis Cup Captain (below right), was usually found here. His participation in the tournaments helped them gain national recognition and attracted many tennis celebrities to Jekyll Island.
Did you know? In 1941, members were charged $5 an hour to use the court at night in order to cover the cost of electricity.
Erected by Jekyll Island Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • Sports. A significant historical year for this entry is 1930.
Location. 31° 3.475′ N, 81° 25.246′ W. Marker is in Jekyll Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 151 Old Plantation Road, Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sans Souci Boiler House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sans Souci (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Men of Means (about 400 feet away); The Skeet House (about 400 feet away); Fairbank Cottage Site (about 400 feet away); A Winter City (about 500 feet away); The Clubhouse (about 500 feet away); First Transcontinental Call (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jekyll Island.
Regarding Morgan Tennis Court. The Morgan Tennis Court is part of the Jekyll Island Historic District.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Jekyll Island Historic District
Also see . . . Jekyll Island Authority officially reopens historic tennis center (2010). Built in 1929, the center was the second indoor tennis court on the island and was later named to honor J.P. Morgan Jr. for his support of sports there and his chairmanship of the Jekyll Island Club. When the center was closed in 2001, its skylights were leaking and termites had eaten away at some of its timbers. As of 2010, it is restored in excellent condition (Submitted on March 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 202 times since then and 12 times this year. Last updated on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.