Potomac West in Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Potomac Yard History
Town of Potomac
— 1908 - 1929 —
Its role as a transportation hub began when Congress chartered the Alexandria Canal Company in 1830. The canal, which opened on December 2, 1843, would connect the port of Alexandria with the end of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (completed 1850) in Georgetown via the Potomac Aqueduct Bridge. It would operate until abandoned in 1886
Potomac Yard, circa 1917
Railroad development in the area began in the 1850s, though stymied by political concerns and by the American Civil War. The Alexandria and Washington Railroad began service on a new rail line between Long Bridge and Alexandria in 1857. Order to the region's mishmash of active and abandoned rail lines and stations did not come until the City Beautiful movement of the late 19th century. The 1901 Plan for Washington, D.C. (report of the McMillan Commission) proposed consolidating
In accordance with the plan, the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR), Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, Southern Railway, Chesapeake and Ohio Railway, Atlantic Coast Line Railroad, and Seaboard Air Line Railway formed the Richmond-Washington Company to manage traffic. This holding company controlled the Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad (RF&P), the new Alexandria Union Station, which opened in 1905, and the new switching yard—Potomac Yard—which opened on October 15, 1906.
The booming "Pot Yard" attracted thousands of workers, who largely settled in the areas of Del Ray and St. Elmo. These subdivisions incorporated as the town of Potomac in 1908, but were annexed by the City of Alexandria in 1930.
Potomac Yard in its heyday was one of the busiest railyards in the Eastern United States, processing thousands of cars daily. The PRR extended its railway electrification program to Potomac Yard in 1935, marking its southernmost point. The Penn Central segment of the famous Tropicana Juice Train operated from here. The site reached capacity in 1937.
After the corporate mergers of the former separate railroad companies that used the yard to interchange freight cars, the need for Potomac Yard greatly diminished. It was determined by the RF&P that the land was worth more than the need for yard switching. The PRR's old catenary was dismantled in the 1980s. The facility was identified as a toxic waste site in 1987. The RF&P final decommissioned it in 1989. Plans for rehabilitation and redevelopment of the land have been a source of intense debate since then.
Produced for the Town of Potomac Centennial in 2008 by the City of Alexandria. research and text by Leland Ness
Erected 2008 by City of Alexandria, Virginia.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, The City of Alexandria series list.
Location. 38° 49.679′ N, 77° 3.527′ W. Marker is in Potomac West in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Mount Vernon Avenue and East Mount Ida Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Mount Vernon Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2525 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria VA 22301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Asaph Racetrack (here, next to this marker); Schools in the Town of Potomac (within shouting distance of this marker); Universal Lodge No. 1 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mount Vernon Avenue (about 400 feet away); The Town of Potomac (about 400 feet away); The Electric Railway (about 500 feet away); Captain Rocky Versace Plaza and Vietnam Veterans Memorial (about 500 feet away); Corporal Charles William Hill (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Potomac West.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 17, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 149 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 17, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.